External program detection

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Greetings,

I would like to detect running 3rd party programs in Media Center so to trigger an action within LCD Smartie.

I can do this easily with mcedll function 20 for EXE based programs. I can use FS_Extensibility tag for HTML programs, however it works only if I use a single HTML program, as I can detect such a program is running, but not which. I have yet to find any method to detect MCML programs. vmccontroller does not output any specific information about them.

Do you know of a method I could use to achieve this ??

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Hey Charles,

Your knowlege far exceeds mine on this subject. But I have been contemplating the same thing as you (I think).

I added a few shortcuts to games in my media center using media center themer and I use EventGhost to "bring those windows into focus" (umong other reasons).

I was considering using eventghost to detect when I open one of those games based on process and run a script to killtask on lcdsmartie and open a differently configured lcdsmartie built for that game. And then visa-versa when it sees that game process destroyed.

Its clearly a crude method but it's the clearest workaround for me thus far.

Brian

P.S. Thanks a TON for submitting your configuration to the forum here. I couldn't have made mce_dll nearly as functional myself.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hi Anderb

You can use function 20 of the plugin to detect whether a particular exe is running

The line:

$dll(mce_dll,20,mygame.exe,GameRunning)

will output "GameRunning" when mygame.exe runs, or " " if it doesn't. Or the value of tag ProcessInactive if you set this in mce_dll.cfg. Defaults to " ".

Set such a line as an action variable in LCD Smartie with "GameRunning" as that action condition value. Refer to actions 10 and 11 in my config for examples.