Configuration questions

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:32 AM

I'll start off by saying that this appears to be a teriffic plugin capable of doing exactly what I've been wishing for. I really appreciate those who take the time and put forth the effort for those of us to use as well.

I'm not sure what I'm missing as far as configuration, but I believe I've followed the installation instructions. I'm using Windows 7 x64, LCDsmartie 5.4.2.92, installed TcpIpController and MCE_dll v0.9.16.193.

LCDsmartie is configured properly for my display ftdi lis vfd (nmedia pro-lcd).

I've entered functions $dll(MCE_dll.dll,1,,) as well as $dll(MCE_dll.dll,11,,) and both display undefined while Media Center is running

Function $dll(MCE_dll.dll,2,,) displays the proper time and date.

I appologize if there is something basic I am missing, but I'm still rather new with LCDsmartie all together.

Brian

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Brian, first inclination would be to check that tcpipcontroller is running. You can do this using the utility in the mce_dll download folder called MCE_Tracer. Just run it and if Media Centre is running it should list out trace messages. If it isn't then tcpip controller is the problem. Did you remember to reboot after tcpipcontroller was installed? If it is running then let me know and we can investigate further.

Dave

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response.

I did indeed reboot after installing tcpipcontroller. As a matter of fact I ran into some issues while trying to install it. I had to manually kill ehrecvr.exe in order to go through the entire installation; otherwise, the installation would stop about tree quarters of the way through and then back out without installing. 

I did run MCE_Tracer this morning while Media Center is running and the command window opens and then closes almost instantly. I'm not sure if the tracer was supposed to create a log file in it's folder, but I did look and nothing there.

I'm guessing if the issue lies with the tcpipcontroller, theres a service not starting.

I am also using this computer as an HTPC with ceton's infinitv tuner on my server. This one recieves the tv signal over the network. I'm not sure if this could also create some kind of conflict.

Brian

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:56 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Just an update to my own findings. I did disable the windows media center receiver service and restart my computer to see if that would allow the tcpipcontroller to start. Still no changes though.

One thing I did not mention in my original post is that function $dll(MCE_dll.dll,1,,) does return Windows 7 HTPC on my display while WMC is not running. I don't know if that's something changed by ehome.exe running or if it's something that tcpipcontroller changes.

EDIT: I just installed lcd smartie, tcpipcontroller, and the mce_dll plugin on a different computer to test if it was a clear conflict on my htpc; however, I get the same results there as well. I imagine it's something I'm not doing or installing correctly.

I appologize that this issue seems mundane compared to making real progress with your plugin.

Brian

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Function 1 displays "Windows 7 HTPC" if Media Center is not running and it doesn't use tcpipcontroller for that.

Sounds like you might be using the wrong version of the TCPIPController software (I can't tell what version I have but I think the documentation might be pointing to the wrong one.) - I think you might need this one: http://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/releases/view/45909 - the setupx64 one.

Dave

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:15 AM

That's exactly what it was Dave! You're awesome. Do you have an account for donations yet so I can buy you a drink (or whatever floats your boat =) )?

Brian

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Thanks Mate,

it's all free and especially when someone adds a bit of value like the suggestion you've given for generating the channel list. BTW I'd be interested to know where you are geographically that you can get 700 channels?

Dave

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:06 PM

It's my pleasure. I hope I can continue to contribute whenever I can. This plugin is exactly what I've been looking for.

As far as location, I've been moving around a bit in the western US. Right now I'm in southern California (unfortunately). Between sports networks offering around 10 channels each for each different sport, movie channels offering different channels for different genres of movies, 10 or 15 different music channels, different national networks which broadcast on 3 different channels each themselves, spanish, korean, jananeese, and public access channels; the channels add up real fast. I know that satellite subscribers have an even greater ubandance of channels and many WMC users connect them to their set top boxes.

I do have some more ideas for the plugin, but I don't want to take away from any of your creativity, it is your baby after all.

Brian